History of the Volunteer Fire Department
In early 1981, a large group of Kendalia residents met at the Kendalia Community Center to discuss the possibility of organizing a volunteer fire department. By December 15, 1981, it was incorporated and fully organized with a seven member board of directors.
The early years
The first fire truck was a small, used Ford truck (a 1950-ish model) from the Boerne Fire Department. They also soon obtained a tanker from another source. Everything was housed at the Kendalia Community Center with the old Ford getting the comfort of the Veteran's Shed.
The growth years
With generous loans and donations, a 40 ft. x 80 ft. metal building was constructed at the corner of Highway 473 and Edge Falls Road which was Kendall County property. This building was serviceable by 1984, and by 1986, a kitchen had been placed in the new building. A 30 ft. x 40 ft. addition was added in 1999 which included office space. In 2012, handicapped restrooms were built and some new kitchen equipment was purchased.