Mountain Gap School
[1882 - 1910]
Although earliest records show Mountain Gap School as the first school located in the Kendalia area, a local historian (Leslie Gourley) recalled that there were also two other schools in the general vicinity at that time. One was located on upper Curry's Creek and the other on lower Curry's Creek.
The Mountain Gap school construction materials and upkeep are suspect based upon comments in the school records of 1896-1897 by teacher T.E. Wood. He noted that "the school was in very bad condition and is a shame and disgrace to civilization". The Mountain Gap School appears to have existed from 1882 to 1908-10 a span of 26-28 years. Records show that W.B. Garven donated another piece of property in 1908 to the Kendalia School District #14.
The earliest records indicate Emmett Jones was the teacher before 1891. This is also supported by an 1892 letter from Emmett Jones to Miss Augusta Knibbe in which he encourages her to continue her education. The school records are somewhat sparse and nonexistence for several years during this 28 year span.
*additional student listings are under research*